How Adam and Jenn Reversed the polarity of the neutron flow
OK, ok, so you have to be a Dr Who fan to understand the heading, for you Harry Potter Fans, how about this instead:
Jenn Catches Her Golden Snitch
You can’t blame us for trying….
All the beautiful images in this blog post were captured by Connect Photography
We first met Adam and Jenn at the Bride and Groom Show in 2016. This is when they excitedly told us about their interests:
Him: A Whovian (Dr Who fan)
Her: A Potterhead (A Harry Potter Fan)
They explained how they wished to combine both passions to create a totally unique and personalised wedding.
Do we like a challenge? YES! Therefore, we were super excited to create a wedding guestbook based on these fantastic themes. And create it we did.
We think you will enjoy reading all about Adam and Jenn’s unique wedding we certainly did, especially the part where Jenn’s father offered some advice. We couldn’t help but think of this classic Harry Potter catchphrase:
Not to be rude or anything, but this isn’t really a great time for me to have a House Elf in my bedroom
You’ll understand when you get to it…..!!!!
Adam and Jenn
19th November 2016
St Leonards Chapel and Gardens , Auckland.
McHughs Of Cheltenham, Devonport
What was the inspiration behind your wedding theme?
“The Geeks in Us” traditional meet geek
Our interests! We wanted something unique to us and that’s how we decided on a geeky themed wedding. He’s a Whovian and I’m a Potterhead. We fully immersed our personalities into it rather than going for the usual wedding decorations. We both combined our interests and had a wedding with not just one theme but two. Instead of concentrating on what the bride wanted the groom also had as much input which is pretty unheard of these days. We had a beautifully rehearsed dance, with a base of ballet and contemporary.
What did you love about your venue?
On my side, I had a lot of family coming from overseas, Hong Kong, Taiwan, London, America .. so we wanted something that showed Auckland’s scenery and natural beauty. We first fell in love with St Leonards so we looked at different reception venues in that area. When we saw the view from McHughs of Cheltenham, we couldn’t say no. The restaurant manager was friendly and the food was great. We just loved the feel of the place and the stunning view of Rangitoto outside.
How did you display your wedding guestbook on the day?
Near the entrance! Our emcee and helpers would welcome guests and direct them to the Whomping Willow!
What was feedback from your guests on your guestbook?
Guests who were familiar with Doctor Who and Harry Potter knew the design concept straightaway. Guests who aren’t familiar with the fandoms thought it was a unique tree design. Overall, the guests loved our personalised the design was and how it really fitted in with Adam and myself. It tied the wedding together, just like our wedding cake.
Did your wedding have any DIY elements?
Quite a lot …
- We hand painted our own aisle runner (never again!)
- Golden snitches - having dozens of golden snitches hanging in your house for months was not fun, especially when you have a cat and the snitches’ wings were made out of feathers.
- Burgundy coloured mason jars: I dyed the inside of the jars myself (something I do at my kindy all the time) - PVA glue and colour dye. Again, wasn’t fun when they are drying in the house and your cat is just so damn curious. When the jars were dry, I stuck vinyl stickers of tardies and golden snitches on them.
- Our ceremony program and reception program: That took forever …
- Reserved seat tags
- Seating plan: my friend and I designed it together
Favourite moment / memory from the day?
Definitely our ceremony .. that moment when I saw him standing at the altar .. I felt so at peace and so blessed to be marrying my best friend. And seeing MONTHS of hard work put together just so beautifully.
Adam said his favourite was seeing me walking down the aisle in a WHITE dress “the girls and I have been saying its flamingo colours and bright pink” and eating our wedding cake.
- While getting our professional photos done (after the ceremony), our best man crashed one of the bridal cars … My husband and I were getting our individual photos taken and we heard a crash and we were like, “ohhh was that a crash? Na.” Then when we got back to our bridal cars … we found out it was one of our cars.
- When it was cake cutting time .. our sonic screwdriver knife broke and snapped into two!
- The weather was cloudy and damp, slight drizzle, so sand flies were everywhere and they particularly loved the tulle of my dress. I felt like a personal mosquito net.
- My father’s speech .. he is a faithful catholic .. so he started explaining about the importance of sexual relations (exact words) after marriage. Needless to say, everyone was trying not to laugh and my poor husband, Adam, was sinking lower and lower into his seat.
- I was starving … I was too nervous to eat - we had to wake up at 5am to begin my make-up and hair. I only had coffee and felt like I was going to puke the whole morning. I did not get to eat until the reception, which was dinner. I couldn’t eat much because the dress was fitted and I was over hungry .. So when the reception finished at midnight .. My best woman drove one of the bridal cars with me and my husband (still in a wedding dress and suit) to McDonalds.
Where have you displayed your guestbook at home?
We are waiting till after honeymoon so we can save enough money to get professional framing. We are looking at getting UV protection glass etc. because we want to keep it in pristine quality forever!
Thanks to Adam and Jenn for taking the time to tell us about their stunning wedding day which they clearly worked hard to achieve and enjoy.
We would love to hear more stories from our gorgeous couples about their wedding adventures so please do get in touch with us: email@example.com
Just a reminder, that each real wedding that we feature we will send you a free 8x10 fine art photo print of one of your wedding photos.
We would like to wish Adam and Jenn much joy in their marriage and finish off with an Albus Dumbledore Quote:
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
If you want to see more here is the video of this stunning wedding from Top Studio
We asked Adam and Jenn to tell us which suppliers they used ………. so just for you here are all the details ......
Connect Photography NZ
Father Rory Morrissey - a priest of the Diocese of Auckland in New Zealand
Devine Rentals 2 Mercedes
Shoes: Converse custom made through their online store to fit our wedding colours with the words Bride, Groom, Best Man, Best Woman embroidered onto them.
Jewellery: Karen Walker, Etsy, Lovisa, Pandora
Wedding bands: Michael Hill
Dress: Wendy Makin
Hair: Best Man’s sister
Make Up: Amie Rolleston
Suit -YD Australia,
Cufflinks: Custom Gallifreyan cufflinks from Etsy
Bridesmaid Dresses: ASOS
Sweet Bites Cakes
Paper flowers from Harry Potter and Doctor Who books – Etsy
Gryffindor quill - Etsy
Reception dinner, food provided by McHughs.
Mix It DJ
- My Guest Book for our custom made Whomping Willow fingerprint tree
- Doctor Who and Harry Potter EVERYTHING.
- Our seating chart was the wizarding world map.
- Doctor Who and Harry Potter bunting behind the bridal table
- Table centre pieces were set up with POP characters, paper confetti, candles and tiles.
- Handmade golden snitches hanging from the ceiling